There’s asbestos in my property. What work can I carry out?

The extent of any proposed building works to be undertaken to a property will be dictated by the type and condition of any asbestos-containing material (ACM) that exists in the property.

Before any works are undertaken to a building, compliance with the Control of Asbestos Regulations needs to be adhered to. If the building was built prior to 2000, it is mandatory that an Asbestos Refurbishment and Demolition Survey (formerly known as a Type 3 Intrusive Survey) is undertaken on the building and on the surrounding area to determine the location, type and condition of any existing asbestos-containing material.

In some circumstances it may be permissible to leave or encapsulate identified ACMs, as they may be deemed low risk, (for example: vinyl floor tiles, textured coatings to ceilings, etc.), or are considered low risk due to their location within the building.

The necessary course of action regarding any identified AMCs also depends on the proposed building works and the condition of the existing building.

Should any ACMs be discovered in the property or surrounding area, the surveyor will provide recommendations on the appropriate works and actions based on their findings.

This answer is a guide only. Further advice should be sought regarding the presence of asbestos. Jones Melling has a team of specialists who can advise you on the best course of action regarding your property.

Ask a question

Have you got a question on a property, construction or building matter?

Please complete our form below.